As part of the Norfolk Island reforms, from 1 July 2016 the Administration of Norfolk Island will be replaced with an elected Norfolk Island Regional Council. The Regional Council will consist of five (5) Councillors. The first election is being held on Saturday 28 May 2016. The Councillors will elect a Mayor from among their number.
New electoral rolls are being created for this election. All people eligible to vote in this Regional Council election needed to apply to be included on the new electoral roll before 6:00pm Monday 18 April, 2016.
There are no wards for the Regional Council, meaning that all candidates stand in an undivided electorate. The proportional representation voting system will apply; which requires a candidate to receive a quota of the formal votes cast to be elected.
Prospective candidates were required to nominate by the close of Nominations, 12:00 noon on Wednesday 27 April 2016, Norfolk Island time. The notice of the contested election and the Candidates is available for download here: Notice of Contested Election.
Information for voting in the 2016 Norfolk Island Regional Election is provided below or can be accessed here.
Regulations about activities during the Election?
There are regulations that relate to the display and publishing of materials concerning the election, referring to any candidate or indicating how to vote for the Norfolk Island Regional Council Election being held on Saturday 28 May 2016. A copy of these regulations is provided for you here. Modified Regulations. A summary of these activities is outlined for you here. Activities during election.
Make sure you know what the rules are so you can comply.
The Candidate Statements are attached for you to download here:
- John McCoy Candidate Statement Alan John McCOY
- David PORTER Candidate Statement David Raymond PORTER
- Lisle SNELL Candidate Statement Lisle Denis SNELL
- Rod BUFFETT Candidate Statement Roderick Charlton BUFFETT
- Robin ADAMS Candidate Statement Robin Eleanor ADAMS
- David BUFFETT Candidate Statement David Ernest BUFFETT
- Kim DAVIES Candidate Statement Kim Mark DAVIES
- Lyle TAVENER Candidate Statement Lyle Christian TAVENER
- Graham WHITE Candidate Statement Robert Graham WHITE
- Tim BROWN Candidate Statement Timothy John BROWN
Important information about what you need to do to have your say in this first Norfolk Island Regional Council election is provided for you here.
- Download an Application form for a Postal Vote (NIForm 7).NI_Form7_Application for Postal Vote
- Download the List of Persons Proposed and Requested Ballot Paper Name (NIAEF210). NIAEF210_List of Persons Proposed and Requested Ballot Paper Name Norfolk Island
- Download the Record of Draw of Candidates (NIAEF219). NI_AEF219 Record of Draw of Candidates
- Download a copy of a Letter to Residents of Norfolk Island about the Contested Regional Council Election. NI_ Letter to residents070516
- Download a copy of a Letter to Residents of Norfolk Island about the Regional Council Election. NorfolkIslandRCE_ResidentsLetter
- Download the Information Notice on the Norfolk Island Regional Council Election.NorfolkIslandRCE_InformationNotice
- Download the Notice of Election and Call for Nomination Proposals. NI AEF 201 – Notice of Election and Call for Nomination Proposals
Forms for expired processes.
- Download a Nomination Paper – Proposal by Electors (NIForm 2). NI_Form 2 – Nomination Paper – Proposal by Electors
- Download a Nomination Paper – Proposal by Registered Political Party (NIForm 3).NI_Form 3 – Nominations of Candidate by Registered Political Party
- Download the Media Release for inclusion on the Non Residential Roll. Media Release NI Regional Council Elections Non Residential Roll
- Download the Form for inclusion on the Non Residential Roll. Non-Resident Roll Form
- Download an Enrolment form to Vote for the Norfolk Island Regional Council Election. NorfolkIslandRCE_EnrolmentForm
When and where do I vote?
The election is being held on Saturday 28 May 2016. Voting is at Rawson Hall, Taylors Road, Burnt Pine between the hours of 8:00am and 6:00pm. If you are unavailable to attend at Rawson Hall during voting hours you may be eligible to apply for postal voting or pre poll voting. You can download an application for Postal Voting NI_Form7_Application for Postal Vote Or visit the Election Centre on Norfolk Island at 38 E&F Taylors Road, Burnt Pine. Further information on where and how you can vote will be provided on the radio, in the newspaper and other media sources.
Voting in the 2016 Norfolk Island Regional Council Election.
To make your vote count follow these instructions. Directions for Voting
Who can enrol and vote?
You are eligible to enrol to vote on the residential roll for the Norfolk Island Regional Council election if you live on Norfolk Island, and:
- You are an Australian citizen, or a British subject who was enrolled on 25 January 1984, and
- are 18 years or older at the time you enrol.
The residential roll is limited to people who live on Norfolk Island; it is not sufficient to be a permanent resident of Norfolk Island living elsewhere.
Land owners and occupiers who do not live on Norfolk Island are also eligible to vote. The non-residential roll will be prepared by the Administration.
Do I have to enrol and vote?
Enrolment for voting in the Norfolk Island Regional Council election is not compulsory. However, if you are enrolled as a resident, you must vote and you may be fined if you don’t.
What if I am already enrolled to vote on the Commonwealth Electoral Roll?
Even if you are already enrolled to vote on the Commonwealth Electoral Roll for federal elections as a Norfolk Island elector, you won’t automatically be included on the Norfolk Island Regional Council electoral roll as there needs to be a new roll created for the Regional Council election. You must submit an enrolment form specifically for these Regional Council elections.
How do I nominate as a Candidate?
Nominations are now closed. Nominations were required by the close of Nominations, 12:00 noon Wednesday 27 April, 2016, Norfolk Island time.
- to the Returning Officer at the Norfolk Island Regional Council Election Office at Shop 36 E & F Taylors Road (opposite the Tourist Information Centre), Norfolk Island; or
- by scanning and emailing it to: email@example.com ; or
- by fax: +617 5428 1355
- Download a Nomination Paper – Proposal by Electors (NIForm 2) NI_Form 2 – Nomination Paper – Proposal by Electors OR
- Download a Nomination Paper – Proposal by Registered Political Party (NIForm 3) NI_Form 3 – Nominations of Candidate by Registered Political Party
When is the deadline for nominating as a Candidate?
The Nominations closed at 12:00 noon Wednesday 27 April 2016, Norfolk Island time.